Amazing Raw Vegan Tacos With Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Meat
Raw Vegan Romaine Lettuce Tacos that are easy and so yum. Romaine lettuce boats topped with raw vegan walnut meat, pico de gallo and of course guac!! Oil free | Gluten free | Raw Vegan
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 7 to 8 tacos
- Category: Main Entree
- Cuisine: raw vegan
For the taco base:
- 7 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves (if you buy one head of romaine lettuce or a package of romaine lettuce, you’ll have more than enough to make this recipe. Each leaf makes one taco.)
For the toppings:
Raw Vegan Walnut Meat –
- 1/2 cup of walnuts (soak for 20 minutes, 20 minutes only!)
- 1 cup of DRY almonds
- 5 to 6 sun dried tomatoes (oil free)
- 1 tablespoon chickpea miso
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of each = garlic powder and onion powder
- dash of = salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
Simple Vegan Pico De Gallo –
- 1 or 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- a handful of cilantro give or take
- the juice of 1 lime
Easy vegan guac –
- 1 to 2 Hass Avocados (depending how many tacos you are making, if you are making more than 4 tacos I’d go for 2 avocados)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- juice of one lime
- dash of cayenne and black pepper
Extra Toppings For Added Flavor and Yumness –
- Jalapeno peppers
- Fresh cabbage slices
Top with our favorite Ultimate Green Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Rinse and drain the romaine lettuce leaves and set aside.
- Prepare the toppings as follows:
Easy Walnut Meat:
- Soak the walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes for 20 minutes only! If you soak walnuts for too long, they become too soft and paste-like vs crumbly.
- Place almonds, miso, and the rest of the spices in the processor and once walnuts and sundried tomatoes have soaked for 20 minutes, add those too. Process until crumbly. Make sure not to over process because then it will be more paste-like. Once it reaches a crumbly consistency, stop. (see picture for reference)
- If you want raw walnut meat then serve as is (if you’re not raw vegan, you can go ahead and roast the meat in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes for extra YUMMMness!
Easy Pico De Gallo:
- In a bowl add the following: Chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, squeeze the juice of one lime and combine until all ingredients are coated. You can also add a pinch of salt and pepper. However, I keep mine salt-free and it tastes amazing this way.
- Place the avocado meat in small bowl, add the minced garlic and add the juice of one lime. Using a fork, mash up the avocado until your desired consistency. You can also add a dash of cayenne and black pepper to taste.
Once you have your walnut meat, pico de gallo and guac ready to go:
- Lay out romaine lettuce boats on a dish and begin adding the toppings. I like to follow this particular order: walnut meat, pico de gallo, guac, and then any extra toppings I might have on hand such as jalapenos, sauerkraut, hot sauce, and green cilantro garlic sauce.
- Serve and ENJOY! So gooood.
- Each romaine lettuce makes one taco. You can usually buy a head of romaine lettuce and it’ll bring plenty of leaves for this recipe. I suggest 7 to 8 because that’s how much the walnut meat, pico de gallo, and guac are enough for but feel free to double the recipe if you need to make more tacos.
- This recipe is very flexible. Feel free to add or remove any toppings or ingredients to suit your needs and taste buds.
- This is a raw meal which is best served and consumed immediately. Left overs will last in the fridge for about 2 days in airtight sealed glass containers.