This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may get a small commission from that sale, at no extra cost to you.
Some of the products pictured here were given to me for free by Mediterranean Organics. However, this post is not sponsored and all opinions are my own.
Balsamic Mixed Greens Summer Salad - We're talking baby lettuce, chard, kale, and arugula (just to name a few) mixed with juicy red tomatoes, fresh red onions, and creamy cubed avocados..
Now add to that some nuts, seeds, crispy roasted chickpeas for some crunch and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar ... wow, just wow.
Who knew eating healthy salads could taste so good, and not boring at all.
This has been my go-to salad for a while now, but I especially find myself eating it more often during the summer. Perhaps it's because it is 100 degrees outside and my body is craving light and refreshing meals like this one...
But also, mostly because this is such an easy lunch that you can whip up in minutes. Feel free to break the rules here. I give you this recipe for inspiration. You can follow it to a T, or you can take from it what serves you and create your very own delicious summer salad.
Things that make a great mixed greens summer salad:
- beautiful fresh greens - I usually get the spring mix from Whole Foods (affiliate link).
- vibrantly red juicy tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onions
- creamy cubed avocados
- olives and diced jalapenos (if you're not a big fan of spicy, chop the jalapenos into small chunks!)
- crunch, crunch, crunch. I achieve that by adding nuts, seeds, and crispy chickpeas.
- a nice generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar - I always go for Mediterranean Organics brand.
The generous and kind people over from Mediterranean Organics were kind enough to send me a free gift box filled with so many goodies! It included all kinds of vinegar, including my favorite balsamic vinegar, as well as olives, sundried tomatoes, capers... The first thing that popped into my head was - I need to make a SALAD! And so this recipe was born.
tips to make a perfect summer salad:
- roughly chop your greens slightly before adding them to your bowl. This helps make the salad chunks smaller, and therefore makes it easier to chew.
- add the crunchy chickpeas last so that they don't become soggy by the wet ingredients.
- add the balsamic vinegar first, and then add the salt and seasoning. The vinegar allows the dry seasoning to stick to the mixed greens better. 😉
- give your salad a nice good shake, several times! I use a random pot lid on top of a bowl and shake, shake, shake to mix everything up.
Yum! Just look at that plate full of good-for-you stuff! 18 year old me would definitely NOT recognize this girl - eating salads, for fun? Who am I even. 😛
I hope you guys enjoy this salad - and don't forget to share the love with me on instagram, facebook, or twitter.
Have a beautiful week lovelies!
Want to see more good-for-you recipes?
Check out this healthy buffalo cauliflower casserole, or this oil free smoky red lentil stew with hearty quinoa recipe.
with love + gratitude,
Want More Vegan Eats? Make sure to subscribe to get our newsletter directly to your inbox, just *one* email, once a week. You can also find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Make sure you come say hi! <3
Balsamic Mixed Greens Summer Salad – Oil Free
A feel good balsamic Mixed Greens Summer Salad done right.. topped with avocado-tomatoes-onions-olives and so much more. Oil free and still full of flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: Side
- 3 heaping cups of mixed greens (I usually get this one from Whole Foods)
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced (your choice)
- 1/2 of a red onion, sliced
- 1 – 2 tomatoes, cubed
- Olives (as many or as little as you’d like)
- Jalapeno peppers
Nuts and seeds:
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
- optional sprinkle on top: Sesame Seeds
Spices and seasonings:
- dash of salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Balsamic Vinegar (or your choice of vegan salad dressing) or you can also make this homemade cilantro garlic sauce which pairs up so nicely with salads! My favorite store bought balsamic vinegar is from Mediterranean Organics.
For crunchy chickpeas:
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt, or more depending on your preference
- dash of cayenne pepper
- If you are making the crunchy chickpeas (skip to step 2 if you’re not) – start by preheating oven to 425F. Add one can of chickpeas (drained) to a bowl, as well as the salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne. Mix to combine and transfer to a baking sheet (covered in parchment paper or aluminum foil). Roast at 425F for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden and crunchy.
- Add mixed greens to a large bowl. I like to give my greens a nice rough chop beforehand but this is totally up to you.
- Add avocados, tomatoes, onions, olives and jalapenos to the bowl and fold in gently. I like to save a few olives and jalapenos to add on top towards the end.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar (start with 3 tablespoons and add more as needed) all over the mixed salad, and then add the salt and the rest of the seasoning. (Adding balsamic vinegar first allows the salt and the rest of the seasonings to stick to the mixed greens.)
- If your bowl has a cover – cover bowl and shake the salad up. I use a random pot lid that fits over my bowl. Give it around three nice shakes (or more) until everything looks well combined. If you don’t have a lid – you can simply mix it all up with a fork or spoon.
- Lastly, add the roasted crunchy chickpeas. I like to add them last so that they don’t get too soggy when mixed up with all the wet ingredients. You can fold them in gently or leave on top to serve as ‘croutons’. Serve and enjoy!!
- Feel free to add or subtract any veggies you might dislike or like! It’s YOUR salad! Have fun.
Keywords: mixed green salad, summer salad, easy salad, balsamic salad, crunchy chickpeas, oil free