This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may get a small commission from that sale, at no extra cost to you.
Garlicky vegan cashew white cheese pizza sauce!
This cashew sauce is so good it deserves it's own post.
I wasn't sure what to name this recipe...
Is it a cashew cheese sauce?
Is it a pizza sauce?
Is it a white sauce?
It's all of the above.
This is a vegan garlicky white cheese sauce that will elevate your healthy homemade pizza game.
It is somewhat of a mix between an alfredo sauce + a cheese sauce.
If you like white sauce on your pizza, or maybe you're tired of tomato sauce and want to try something new.. or if you're avoiding nightshades and can't have tomatoes - then this sauce is what you need for your pizza.
PS. It tastes delicious on pasta too.
This sauce is vegan, paleo, gluten free, and dairy free.
What do you need to make this vegan cashew white cheese pizza sauce:
- Cashews - If you don't have a high speed blender it's probably best if you soak them before hand for ultimate creaminess. Overnight is best, but if you're short on time 30 minutes will get you by.
- Garlic - can't have a garlic sauce without fresh garlic cloves.
- Apple cider vinegar - for a hint of sour.
- Tapioca flour - a must in this recipe. Tapioca flour is what thickens this sauce and when heated in the oven, forms a delicious thick cheese-like layer on top of your pizza.
- Water - to bring it all together.
- Salt - for flavor enhancement. Stick to pink himalayan salt if you can. To read why I prefer to use pink himalayan salt over regular table salt, read this post I wrote about 10 healthy food swaps I made for better health.
How to make this vegan cashew white cheese sauce:
One of the easiest recipes you'll find on this blog.
Just literally add everything to the blender and blend until smooth. That's it!
If you do not have a vitamix or a blendtec, I recommend you soak the cashews overnight if possible for ultimate creaminess. If you forget to soak them overnight, then at least soak them for 30 minutes if you can. This will help your blender really blend the cashews down and not leave a gritty texture to the sauce.
How to use this vegan garlicky cashew white cheese pizza sauce:
We mostly use this garlic cashew white cheese sauce as a topping for our homemade paleo gluten-free pizza.
My husband doesn't tolerate tomatoes well so instead of using traditional tomato sauce, we use this vegan garlic cashew cheese sauce instead and it is sooo freakin' delicious I don't even mind missing out on the tomatoes.
You can also use this sauce on pasta - it reminds me of a creamy alfredo in a way. And it is delicious as a dip for raw veggies or cauliflower buffalo wings.
will any other flour work or does it have to be tapioca flour:
I have not tried this recipe with any other flour, but I do not think any other flour will work as good as tapioca does.
When tapioca flour is heated, it turns into a thick cheese-like consistency which is why this sauce is so perfect for pizza. When you cook the pizza in the oven with the sauce on top, the heat of the oven turns the liquified pizza sauce into a solid cheezy-like layer on top of your pizza.
If you skip out on tapioca, it will most likely stay very wet.
The only brand of Tapioca flour that I buy is from Arrowhead Mills and I get it off of Amazon.
garlicky vegan cashew cheese pizza sauce
A super yummy garlicky vegan cashew cheese pizza sauce that elevates your healthy-homemade-pizza-game.
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or 1/2 tsp adjust to taste – you can always add more so start with less)
- 2 tablespoons acv
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 cup water (you can add 1/4 cup more if blender needs help)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If you do not have a powerful blender it is recommended that you soak the cashews for at least 30 minutes, but preferably over night.
- The tapioca is a must – this is what helps thicken the sauce when the pizza is heated in the oven.