This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may get a small commission from that sale, at no extra cost to you.
Valentine's day is right around the corner - and what better way to tell someone special that you love them and appreciate them, than by cooking up a delicious healthy and tasty raw vegan meal? hint.hint. 😉
Plus, restaurants are overrated and completely jammm packed on Vday.
Raw Vegan recipes are my favorite favorite everrr. And I'll take a raw vegan meal present for valentine's day any day. 😛
Something about the fresh, colorful, vibrant ingredients that almost always accompany raw vegan dishes are so enticingly yummy.
One of the first raw vegan dishes that I ever tried, and is now my favorite, is raw vegan romaine lettuce boat tacos. Soooo much goodness in one dish. Get ready.
five things to know about this raw vegan romaine lettuce tacos recipe:
- Even though it looks extremely complicated.. It's notttt! This is such a perfect recipe for beginners. Do not be afraid my friends. YOU CAN DO THIS! It's pretty much fail proof too.
- Refined OIL free because there is no need for processed oils in this recipe. We get enough healthy fats from the yummy walnut meat and guac. 😉 Check out more details on how to make walnut taco meat here. It's really not that hard to make and taste amazing!
- There is NO cooking involved, say whattt! That's the beauty of raw foods. All you have to do is prepare each part, layer the raw vegan romaine tacos, and eat eat eat. The quicker I can get to the 'eating' part, the happier I am. #nothappywhenhungry Am I rightttt?
- These raw vegan romaine lettuce tacos are so colorful and vibrant and happy, which makes for a perfect dish for a special occasion, a birthday, a celebration, or ummm VALENTINE'S DAY, which is right around the corner.. so ladies and gents.. take note 😉 and surprise, errr scratch that, WOW your Valentine with this yummy yummy dish.
- Don't forget the sauce. Although this dish is super yummy on its own, make it even more unbelievably tasty by drizzling a little bit (more like a lot a bit), of our Ultimate Green Cilantro Garlic Sauce (click for recipe).
Let's talk about the layers
This recipe is a bonus because it includes three other recipes in one! It's just one of those dishes where you need three recipes to make one recipe hahaha, #complicatedveganprobs.
But no need to fear. It's really not hard. I've broken down the steps. It's like I'll be right there with ya in the kitchen guiding you along.
Raw Vegan Walnut Meat
Start by making the Walnut Meat first.. you're going to have to soak the walnuts and sundried tomatoes so make sure to get that started first and then you can work on everything else while they soak.
Make sure to only soak the walnuts for about 20 minutes! If you soak any longer, the meat tends to get a mooshy, paste-like texture which is not cool.
Also make sure nottt to overprocess once you get everything in the food processor. Just process enough that everything is broken down, well combined, but still crumbly. See this picture below.
PS. You can eat as is for a raw vegan version orrrr if ya wanna get naughty, you can totally roast this in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes, and the flavor intensifies so much more.
easy raw vegan pico de gallo
The Pico De Gallo is super simple and flexible. I offer measurements so that you can get a general idea but feel free to experiment with your own quantities. Basically chop up all of the ingredients (tomatoes, red onions, garlic and cilantro), and cover with lime juice. YUM.
anddd the guac, can't forget the guac!
I don't get too complicated with guac. Slice your avocado in half, throw it in a bowl, add some lime juice and mash up with a fork! You can also add some minced garlic and dash of cayenne or pepper.
As you can probably already tell, the three recipes that make the really big main recipe are super easy and simple. Once you've made each part, layer your raw vegan romaine lettuce tacos as you wish and enjoy.
Oh and don't forget the sauceeee! This one goes really well with our Ultimate Green Cilantro Garlic Sauce (click for recipe).
Okay friends, let me know if you try it, what you think, how did it taste...
Also, let's be friends on Instagram: @sproutingzeneats and tag me if you make this beauty!
with love + gratitude,
Amazing Raw Vegan Tacos With Sun-Dried Tomato Walnut Meat
Raw Vegan Romaine Lettuce Tacos that are easy and so yum. Romaine lettuce boats topped with raw vegan walnut meat, pico de gallo and of course guac!! Oil free | Gluten free | Raw Vegan
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 7 to 8 tacos 1x
- Category: Main Entree
- Cuisine: raw vegan
For the taco base:
- 7 to 8 romaine lettuce leaves (if you buy one head of romaine lettuce or a package of romaine lettuce, you’ll have more than enough to make this recipe. Each leaf makes one taco.)
For the toppings:
Raw Vegan Walnut Meat –
- 1/2 cup of walnuts (soak for 20 minutes, 20 minutes only!)
- 1 cup of DRY almonds
- 5 to 6 sun dried tomatoes (oil free)
- 1 tablespoon chickpea miso
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of each = garlic powder and onion powder
- dash of = salt, pepper, cayenne to taste
Simple Vegan Pico De Gallo –
- 1 or 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- a handful of cilantro give or take
- the juice of 1 lime
Easy vegan guac –
- 1 to 2 Hass Avocados (depending how many tacos you are making, if you are making more than 4 tacos I’d go for 2 avocados)
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- juice of one lime
- dash of cayenne and black pepper
Extra Toppings For Added Flavor and Yumness –
- Jalapeno peppers
- Fresh cabbage slices
Top with our favorite Ultimate Green Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Rinse and drain the romaine lettuce leaves and set aside.
- Prepare the toppings as follows:
Easy Walnut Meat:
- Soak the walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes for 20 minutes only! If you soak walnuts for too long, they become too soft and paste-like vs crumbly.
- Place almonds, miso, and the rest of the spices in the processor and once walnuts and sundried tomatoes have soaked for 20 minutes, add those too. Process until crumbly. Make sure not to over process because then it will be more paste-like. Once it reaches a crumbly consistency, stop. (see picture for reference)
- If you want raw walnut meat then serve as is (if you’re not raw vegan, you can go ahead and roast the meat in the oven at 350F for 20 minutes for extra YUMMMness!
Easy Pico De Gallo:
- In a bowl add the following: Chopped tomatoes, chopped red onions, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, squeeze the juice of one lime and combine until all ingredients are coated. You can also add a pinch of salt and pepper. However, I keep mine salt-free and it tastes amazing this way.
- Place the avocado meat in small bowl, add the minced garlic and add the juice of one lime. Using a fork, mash up the avocado until your desired consistency. You can also add a dash of cayenne and black pepper to taste.
Once you have your walnut meat, pico de gallo and guac ready to go:
- Lay out romaine lettuce boats on a dish and begin adding the toppings. I like to follow this particular order: walnut meat, pico de gallo, guac, and then any extra toppings I might have on hand such as jalapenos, sauerkraut, hot sauce, and green cilantro garlic sauce.
- Serve and ENJOY! So gooood.
- Each romaine lettuce makes one taco. You can usually buy a head of romaine lettuce and it’ll bring plenty of leaves for this recipe. I suggest 7 to 8 because that’s how much the walnut meat, pico de gallo, and guac are enough for but feel free to double the recipe if you need to make more tacos.
- This recipe is very flexible. Feel free to add or remove any toppings or ingredients to suit your needs and taste buds.
- This is a raw meal which is best served and consumed immediately. Left overs will last in the fridge for about 2 days in airtight sealed glass containers.