This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may get a small commission from that sale, at no extra cost to you.
And just like that it is autumn!
Welcome all things cozy, warm-to-the-soul, and spiced.
Hi friends! I was gone all of last week but today we are back and better than ever, ready to share this delicious all-things-autumn recipe.
roasted eggplant recipe perfect for autumn
This recipe is perfect for this time of year - roasted eggplant that is deliciously stuffed with quinoa, mushrooms, multi-colored carrots, and spiced up with different herbs like rosemary, sage, and basil. ahh I can smell autumn cookin' in my kitchen, can you?!
This meal is full of cozy autumn flavor, lots and lots of healthy goodies, and topped with a guilt free super simple cashew sauce on top. Yum.
smells like fall
Now that summer is gone, and the temps begin to cool... it is the perfect time to turn on the oven and roast some eggplants. Plus, the delicious aroma of all these spices in your kitchen is to die for (just kidding, don't die.)
This stuffed roasted eggplant is a perfect meal for your Thanksgiving or friendsgiving celebration (if that's your thing), or for any fall weather get-together you may be hosting this holiday season.
stuffed roasted eggplant - oil free and gluten free
As usual this recipe is very flexible and adaptable. Feel free to use wild rice or brown rice instead of the quinoa, or add/subtract whatever veggies you feel inspired to include or remove.
The simple cashew sauce is totally optional, but as every good vegan knows... sauce is life, so leave out at your own risk. 😉
Also this recipe, as all other recipes on this website, is refined oil free!!!
Okay foodies that is all - and pardon my absence last week, I was out in the mountains for enjoying the beautiful fall foliage. Can you blame me?
Want to see more awesome vegan dinners?
with love + gratitude,
Want More Vegan Eats? Make sure to subscribe to get our newsletter directly to your inbox, just *one* email, once a week. You can also find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Make sure you come say hi! <3
Stuffed Roasted Eggplant With Quinoa, Mushrooms, and Multi-Colored Carrots
Vegan stuffed roasted eggplant with quinoa, mushrooms, and multi-colored carrots topped with a simple cashew sauce. Oil free and gluten free.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: autumn
- Method: roasting
- 1–2 eggplants (if you only use one eggplant, you may have extra stuffing left over)
- 5–6 multicolored carrots
- 1 package of baby bella or white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- a tiny dash of cinnamon (enough to be noticed but not enough to over power)
- vegetable broth for sauteing and roasting
optional (but highly recommended) simple cashew sauce:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1–2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon miso
- pinch of salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cut eggplants in half, and then cut out a rectangular shape of flesh out of each eggplant and set aside. (see pictures). This is done to create sort of a ‘bowl’ in the eggplant so that your stuffing can sit inside of it, but also it allows us to cook some of the eggplant and include it in the stuffing itself. (don’t throw out rectangles!)
- Place eggplants face down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, coat with around 1/2 cup of vegetable broth and roast in the oven for 35 minutes. Check eggplants around the halfway mark and sprinkle more veg broth on top if they seem really dry.
- Add mixed carrots and mushrooms to a saucepan, add 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, and cook over low/medium heat until soft. Chop up the rectangular pieces of eggplant flesh into cubes and add these to the saucepan once carrots are semi-soft (around the 10 minute mark). I like to add eggplant pieces last because eggplant cooks much faster than the carrots.
- Once all veggies are soft and tender, and most of the veg broth has evaporated (within 15 to 20 minutes).. add 2 cups cooked quinoa to the saucepan and mix to combine (if you don’t have cooked quinoa already – use this blog post for details on how to cook fluffy quinoa). Add the spices at this time – salt, basil, sage, rosemary, and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Once eggplants have roasted in the oven – remove, flip them over, and stuff with the quinoa/mushroom/vegetable mix.
- You can serve them just like this or if you want to take it one step further you can make a quick oil free simple cashew sauce to drizzle on top by blending cashews, garlic, miso, water and salt. Drizzle on top and serve. Enjoy!
Keywords: eggplant, stuffed eggplant, oil free, healthy, vegan, plantbased, fall recipe, autumn recipe, thanksgiving