- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place in a pot and pour enough water to cover the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium/high and continue to boil for another 10 to 15 minutes until sweet potatoes are soft (use a fork to test).
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare your casserole dish (I use an 8×8 oven-safe glass dish) by lining it with parchment paper to avoid oils.
- In the mean time, prepare your crumble – Place pecans, cashews, dates, salt, cinnamon, coconut nectar and vanilla extract in your food processor. Process until nuts are broken down enough that they resemble a crumble. Make sure not to over-process or you will end up with nut butter! (A good sign when to stop is once the mixture begins to stick along the walls of the food processor.)
- Once sweet potatoes are soft, remove from heat and drain. Using a fork or a potato masher like this one (affiliate link), mash up the sweet potatoes until there are no large chunks left. You can also totally use your food processor for a much smoother puree. Go ahead and add coconut nectar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the sweet potatoes and combine. Spread this layer onto your casserole dish.
- Add the pecan cashew crumble on top of the sweet potato layer.
- Bake in the oven at 375F for 15 to 20 minutes, until pecan cashew crumble is slightly toasted and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with a delicious vegan ice cream or as is.
Keep an eye out on your casserole because this heats up quickly and you don’t want a burned dessert 🙁