This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and then make a purchase, I may get a small commission from that sale, at no extra cost to you.
Crunchy, salty, yummy tortilla chips. Everybody loves a good nacho tortilla chip and dip right?
But what happens when you realize that all the store bought chips are full of not-so-good stuff like canola oil or a million grams of salt, or a pound of sugar or some other crazy-hard-to-pronounce ingredient?? Ah!
You slightly panic for five seconds and then you learn how to make your own oil free homemade tortilla chips because we need nachos in our lives, and guac needs chips.
Plus, making your own tortilla chips is funner, cooler, anddd you don't have to deal with a huge bag of left over chips that go soggy three days after opening.
how to make oil free oven baked homemade tortilla chips
Making your own tortilla chips is super easy... and I'm going to break it down for you so that it is even easier and you feel motivated to give this version a try.
What you'll need:
- Store bought oil free tortillas. Whole Foods 365 brand has corn tortillas in the freezer aisle that only contains two ingredients - corn and lime. You can also use Engine 2 Plant Strong Oil free flour tortillas. Any tortillas will work but try to choose a brand that has clean ingredients.
- A coat of lime, a sprinkle of salt and a dash of pepper, cayenne and paprika. I give measurements below as an estimate, but honestly I usually wing this part. I just give each spice a shake and make sure that all chips have been coated as evenly as possible.
- An oven - so you can roast the chips for 20 minutes.
That's it. How simple is that!?
You'll have tasty and healthy oil free tortilla chips ready to go in 20 to 25 minutes, give or take. Honestly, once I started making my own chips, I've never bought store-bought chips ever again. And I hope you do the same. 🙂
what tortillas to choose: flour vs corn
Lately I've been making our tortilla chips using corn tortillas - more specifically, the Whole Foods 365 brand. You can usually find these tortillas in the frozen food aisle. I'm loving these because they contain just two ingredients - corn and lime. That's it. Nothing else. Always check your ingredients to make sure there isn't anything hidden in there that you might not want to be eating.
I find that corn tortillas make a more authentic corn tortilla chip, obviously. However, if for some reason you are avoiding corn, or maybe can't find these clean corn tortillas near your home - you can use flour tortillas. My go-to flour tortillas are usually the Engine 2 Plant Strong brand because they don't contain oil and are usually made with good-for-you sprouted grains. Flour tortillas make really good chips as well, but I find that you have to bake them a little longer than the corn variety at times. Remember if you want to stick with gluten free, make sure to choose gluten free tortillas.
enjoy your homemade chips
My favorite way to enjoy these chips are to turn them into nachos. (Recipe will be posted tomorrow for nachos). You can also enjoy these chips with an easy vegan guac made in your food processor (video included), or dip them in this roasted carrot and garlic hummus dip. Ohhh boy I'm getting so hungry. Are you?! 😛
Are you excited to make your own homemade tortilla chips in the oven from now on? Tell me below what your thoughts are.
Want to see more vegan savory recipes?
with love + gratitude,
Want More Vegan Eats? Make sure to subscribe to get our newsletter directly to your inbox, just *one* email, once a week. You can also find us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. Make sure you come say hi! <3
Watch how to make oil free nacho chips:
Homemade Oven Baked Tortilla Chips Recipe
A super easy step-by-step guide on how to make homemade tortilla chips in the oven using corn (or flour) tortillas!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Chips
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Snacks
- 1 package (or 2 depending on how many chips you want) of oil free tortillas. I usually use the Whole Foods 365 Corn Tortilla brand or any of the Engine 2 Oil free flour tortillas.
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon of himalayan salt
- dash of cayenne and black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon paprika give or take
- Preheat oven to 350F (176 C) Cut your round tortillas into 4 triangular pieces (see pictures if needed). You’re going to cut it in half right down the middle, and then cut the halves into halves. You’ll be left with 4 triangular pieces per tortilla. NOTE: if you are using large flour tortillas, you’ll probably have to cut them into more pieces.
- Place all the cut pieces on a baking sheet (preferably covered in parchment paper but aluminum foil works too), and sprinkle the lime juice over all chips making sure they all get coated. Go ahead and sprinkle the salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika if you are using it.
- Bake the chips at 350F (176 C) for 20 to 25 minutes. Please keep an eye on your chips the first time around because every oven is different and yours might be ready within 20 minutes, while it may take someone else another 10 minutes. Chips are ready once they are slightly golden and crispy.
- Serve with nachos or with your favorite dip. This guacamole using the food processor is my favorite way to enjoy these chips. ENJOY! 🙂
- If your tortillas are frozen – let them thaw for a few minutes before you start cutting them, but don’t let them completely thaw out because in my experience they begin to ‘curl’ or round inwards and then you won’t have flat chips. Just a little FYI! 🙂
- I find that one package of 12 small corn tortillas makes enough chips for 2 people.